'Massaging Himmler': Story, Piano, & Images (Castlemaine)
- Anne M Carson (poet and story teller) and Julian Bailey (classical pianist) with the book which prompted the whole journey - 'The Magic Touch', the story of Heinrich Himmler's masseur, who used his influence to free many thousands of people.
- CASTLEMAINE CONCERT DEFERRED
- Although we received much interest, we haven't received enough bookings to cover costs. With apologies for the inconvenience. We hope to reschedule in 2018. Thanks for your interest. We'll keep you posted.
- Massaging Himmler Concert:
- Selections from: “Massaging Himmler: A Poetic biography of Dr Felix Kersten" by Anne M Carson are interwoven with Rachmaninov 10 Piano Preludes Opus 23, recorded soundtrack by Julian Bailey, and potent historic images.
- This potent story telling, is read live by Anne and Julian and interspersed with an audiovisual track combining all 10 of Rachmaninov's Preludes Opus 23, prerecorded by Julian. It is a unique opportunity to hear this set of piano pieces, rarely performed in its entirety. Images of Dr Kersten, his family and estate, and of Himmler and the era - the latter so chilling and iconic are combined with close-ups of Julian's flying hands to make a powerful counterpoint to this remarkable true story.
- The Preludes mirror the mythic quality of the Dr Kersten story - both are heroes journeys through struggle and conflict into light. Often darkly passionate, the music is threaded through and finishes with passages of sublime transcendence.
- Anne's manuscript of "Massaging Himmler" has been endorsed by Adele Hulse from the Lamn Jewish Library:
- "In crystal clear poems, Anne M Carson gives the reader an intimate view of one of the Holocaust's greatest murderers, Heinrich Himmler, who suffered an agonising stomach condition that only his personal physician, Dr Felix Kersten, was able to relieve. In the process he was able to save the lives of many ..."
- For interviews about previous versions of the concert:
This video may contain scenes that some viewers may find disturbing.
- Saturday November 4th 2017, 3.50 for 4pm
Castlemaine Uniting Church, 8 - 12 Lyttleton St Castlemaine
Anne Carson 0425 708 274
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available