How to be an Efficient Writer (Melbourne 1st November)
How to be an Efficient Writer (Melbourne 1st November 2017)
Many people are unhappy with the amount of time they take to complete a document. When writing about science, it is easy to drift onto related topics in the researching, planning and writing stages. The How to be an Efficient Writer workshop shows you how to stay on track and be more efficient at each stage of the writing process. We teach you how to record your thoughts, reduce distractions, plan your document, monitor your writing productivity and produce a content-rich first draft in a short period of time.
Learn how to
- Manage your time effectively
- Understand the writing process and the key factors leading to inefficient writing
- Improve how you write and edit your work
- Focus and develop your core topic in your first draft
- Manage multiple writing projects
What you take away
- Improved writing and project management skills
- An action plan to monitor your efficiency and productivity
- A first draft or outline of a new document (your choice of topic)
- Editing and feedback of one page of your writing (optional).
- The Writing Clear Science workshop handbook
- A workshop participation certificate
- Worksheets and templates for future use
- Bonus textbook: Turbocharge Your Writing by Hugh Kearns & Maria Gardiner
- Recommended reading list
Duration: 10am – 4.30pm. Writing Clear Science workshops follow a dynamic rotation of short lectures, interactive writing exercises and writing activities. You are encouraged to work on your own project topics when completing the writing activities.
The Seminar Room, Sir Zelman Cowen Centre, 295 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- $370 incl. G.S.T. Includes morning & afternoon tea and resources.
- 10% earlybird discount (expires 22nd October 2017)
- Additional discounts are available every month through our free email newsletter.
- Bookings and further information www.writingclearscience.com.au
- Download the brochure
- Credit Card - Click the 'Book Now' button above
- If you require an invoice for your institution to process, or you wish to pay by cheque or direct bank transfer - please Download the registration form and email it to email@example.com. You will shortly receive your booking notification and invoice (incl. bank account details).
About the presenter
Since 2005, Dr Marina Hurley has specialised in teaching scientific and professional writing through her Writing Clear Science training consultancy. Prior to 2005, Marina worked as an ecological scientist for 20 years. Marina is Visiting Fellow at UNSW teaching PhD students. Based in Melbourne, Marina regularly travels across Australia delivering workshops. au.linkedin.com/in/marinahurley/
Contact Details: Dr Marina Hurley 0416 097-979, firstname.lastname@example.org
-‘An excellent workshop. I gained a lot of valuable information. The course was presented well by an enthusiastic trainer with outstanding knowledge of the topics.’
-‘Excellent balance of practical and theory. The workshop was run at a good pace and flowed well. Good amount of breaks.’
-‘Thank you for the brilliant writing course. …I am looking forward to practicing the writing skills I gained during the workshop.’
Who can attend
- Postgraduate students
- Research scientists
- Government researchers
- Graduate scientists
- Technical Officers
- Science professionals
- Science communicators
- Non-fiction professional writers
(Any level of writing experience)
(All scientific disciplines)
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available