Destination Outdoors: Outdoor Learning for Primary Schools
Destination Outdoors: Outdoor Learning for Primary Schools will contribute 10 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 2.1.2, 2.3.2, 3.2.2, 3,4,2, 4.2.2 and 4.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
- An introduction to the outdoor learning; routines, games, resources, practicalities, weather, risk assessment and benefit
- Curriculum modules; literacy learning and story play, messy maths, creative arts, geography fieldwork and nature play.
- A guide to educational playgrounds for outdoor learning.
What to expect:
- Indoor theory sessions to introduce place-based, experiential and constructivist pedagogies.
- Practical lesson planning utilising the NSW K-6 Syllabus documents.
- Outdoor sessions, immersed in nature where you learn the skills to teach outside the classroom.
- To gain the practical competencies to program for and teach outdoors.
- A collaborative, safe and supportive environment to learn new skills, share ideas and learn from industry experts.
- Approximately 90 minutes south of Sydney.
- Gerroa Neighbourhood Centre – 37 Stafford St, Gerroa
- Seven Mile Beach National Park – We are proud supporters of National Parks NSW and hold ECO Pass credentials to use their land.
Course cost and inclusions:
- $495 per person (This is a huge 20% discount on our general total cost)
- Cost includes: qualified and experienced instructors, a completion certificate, a guided bushwalk, day outdoor equipment use, craft supplies, first aid, hall hire, NPWS land fees, booking fee, tea and coffee (a real coffee from the Blue Swimmer for morning tea each day), simple BBQ and salad lunches cooked in the National Park and an end of weekend celebration cake.
- Dr Amanda Lloyd is an Australian leading expert in outdoor learning, Planet Ark Spokeswoman and keynote speaker. She leads the Outdoor Connections Australia Professional Development Team, utilising her extensive educational knowledge. She is equipped with 17 years teaching experience, including time spent in leadership positions. Her impressive qualifications include a: Bachelor of Education (Primary), Graduate Certificate of Outdoor Education, Masters of Environment (Education for Sustainability) and Forest School Level 3 Instructors Training. Amanda’s PhD examined place-based outdoor learning in a Primary School. Her passion is assisting other teachers to implement outdoor learning in their programs.
- Penny Sadubin has a distinctive set of experiences and qualifications that make her a vital component of the Outdoor Connections Australia Professional Development Team. She is an artist, landscape designer and educator. The landscape around us is the vital thread that links all of Penny’s work. Penny’s qualifications include a: Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting), City and Guilds Garden Design, Vectorworks for Garden Design and Forest School Level 3 Instructors Training. Drawing on her varied experiences and qualifications, Penny leads the Creative Arts and Playgrounds workshops.
- Participants are encouraged to book into the local caravan park and camping ground, which is close to our locations. The Discovery Park has river-side camping which is highly recommended. https://www.discoveryholidayparks.com.au/nsw/south_coast/gerroa
- Alternatively there are many holiday homes in the area on www.stayz.com.au or airbnb.com
You can download the full course outline here. This information will be sent to you on booking.
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available