Your name has been added to the wait list for this event. The event organiser will contact you through your email address once there are available seats / slots.
Writing Clearly & Succinctly (Sydney - 2nd May 2018)
Writing Clearly & Succinctly, Sydney 2nd May 2018
For science to be understood, assimilated and further developed, it needs to be accessible through clear and concise writing. The Writing Clearly and Succinctly workshop takes you through three stages to help you improve the clarity of your writing. We discuss the writing process and recommend techniques to improve efficiency. We review sentence structure without introducing complicated grammar rules and teach you how to improve the flow of your writing. We teach you how to make your sentences and paragraphs direct, clear and concise.
Learn how to
- Understand your writing behaviour and overcome common problems
- Write and punctuate clear, legible sentences
- Edit and critique writing to improve clarity and meaning
- Improve the logic and structure of a paragraph
- Identify and fix writing that is ambiguous, unclear, repetitive and long-winded
What you take away
- Improved writing, editing & critique skills
- A rewritten draft of your own work that you complete during the workshop (optional)
- Editing and feedback of one page of your writing completed by the presenter (optional)
- The Writing Clear Science workshop handbook
- A workshop participation certificate
- Worksheets and templates for future use
- Bonus textbook: Turbocharge Your Writing by Hugh Kearns & Maria Gardiner
Australian Writers Centre, 55 Lavender Street, Milsons Point, NSW 2061
- $370 incl. G.S.T. Includes morning & afternoon tea and resources.
- 10% earlybird discount (expires 6th March 2018)
- Additional discounts are available every month through our free email newsletter.
- Bookings and further information www.writingclearscience.com.au
- Download the brochure
- Credit Card - Click the 'Book Now' button above
- If you require an invoice for your institution to process, or you wish to pay by cheque or direct bank transfer - please Download the registration form and email it to email@example.com. You will shortly receive your booking notification and invoice (incl. bank account details).
About the presenter
Since 2005, Dr Marina Hurley has specialised in teaching scientific and professional writing through her Writing Clear Science training consultancy. Prior to 2005, Marina worked as an ecological scientist for 20 years. Marina is Visiting Fellow at UNSW teaching PhD students. Based in Melbourne, Marina regularly travels across Australia delivering workshops. au.linkedin.com/in/marinahurley/
Contact Details: Dr Marina Hurley 0416 097-979, firstname.lastname@example.org
-‘An excellent workshop. I gained a lot of valuable information. The course was presented well by an enthusiastic trainer with outstanding knowledge of the topics.’ -‘Excellent balance of practical and theory. The workshop was run at a good pace and flowed well. Good amount of breaks.’ -‘Thank you for the brilliant writing course. …I am looking forward to practicing the writing skills I gained during the workshop.’
Who can attend
- Postgraduate students
- Research scientists
- Government researchers
- Graduate scientists
- Technical Officers
- Science professionals
- Science communicators
- Non-fiction professional writers
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available