Your name has been added to the wait list for this event. The event organiser will contact you through your email address once there are available seats / slots.
Two Day Introductory PODD Workshop
The Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) approach provides strategies to support the design, production and implementation of communication systems to enable genuine communication for a variety of functions in all daily environments. PODD includes strategies to minimise some of the common difficulties associated with the use of multi-level communication books including:
- Supporting the child and communication partners to efficiently move between levels (pages) to locate vocabulary they require
- Speed to access vocabulary to produce messages
- Quicker access to predictable messages and access to a broad range of vocabulary for spontaneous, unpredicted messages.
The PODD resource provides generic communication book templates which can be customised to suit individual requirements. Generic templates can be used for trial to enable more informed system development and then be customised to suit individualised needs. Creative and practical solutions will be demonstrated through videos and case examples. Participants will have the opportunity for hands on supported practice using PODD communication books.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organisation, layout, design, range of access strategies and customising for individual requirements.
- Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organisation, layout, design, range of access strategies and customising for individual requirements.
- Use PODD generic template resources to produce customised communication books.
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.
- Teach children and partners to use PODD communication books in daily environments.
This workshop will be of interest to speech pathologists, occupational therapists, and educators of individuals who have complex communication needs. Family members and support people who would like a more in depth understanding of PODD communication books are also welcome to attend. If you are considering PODD on an electronic communication device, this training would also be beneficial to develop your understanding about PODD features, organisation and teaching and learning strategies.
Yvette Theodorsen, founder of Interactive Speech Pathology, has focused most of her 15 years as a speech pathologist working in the area of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC). She is passionate about every person having a voice, no matter how significant their challenges may be, and has implemented PODD communication books with people from 9 months to 46 years of age, believing that nobody is too young or too old to begin with AAC. Yvette continues to work in a practical, hands-on way, collaborating with families, educators, therapists and other supporters to implement various AAC systems, including the PODD communication system with individuals in all settings.
$495 inc gst—Includes lunch, morning and afternoon tea, and a comprehensive workshop manual
Tompkins on Swan
632 Canning Highway, Alfred Cove, WA
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available