Your name has been added to the wait list for this event. The event organiser will contact you through your email address once there are available seats / slots.
Mental Health First Aid Workshop
Mental Health First Aid Workshop
Delivered by Hedley Duhau, Care Coordinator of a Mental Health Community Support Service for cohealth, this is an award winning 12-hour course, designed to equip people (non-mental health professionals) with the tools to recognise and respond to a person who may have a mental health problem or be experiencing a mental health crisis and guide them toward appropriate support. The training is delivered by accredited trainers in Australia and 23 countries internationally.
Although many of us know CPR & traditional first aid, you’re much more likely to encounter someone with mental illness symptoms than someone having a heart attack. Instead of learning how to give CPR or how to treat a broken bone, MHFA will teach you the skills to know how to help someone experiencing mental health difficulties. Mental health is everyone's responsibility just as it is when you see a person fall over in the street. MHFA shows us how to extend a hand in trying circumstances, with no judgement, just compassionate understanding.
Participants learn to
- spot the early signs of mental health problems;
- feel confident helping someone who is experiencing a problem;
- provide help on a first aid basis;
- help stop a mental health problem from getting worse;
- guide someone to the right support; and help someone to recover faster;
- reduce the stigma of mental health problems
Course participants receive a copy of the MHFA Manual to keep and Certificate of Completion. Many professionals can claim attendance at a MHFA course for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) with their industry body.
Everyone can benefit
The course is highly recommended for:
- Employees who regularly work with the public such as healthcare professionals, teachers, retail employees, emergency services workers and first responders (police, ambulance and fire officers) customer service staff and many other professions,
- Employers, human resource professionals and those who supervise and support work colleagues
- Family members or anyone who wants to learn more about mental health and substance use or feel more comfortable assisting someone experiencing mental health distress.
WHEN: 10:30am-4:30pm - Wednesday 29th & Thursday 30th August 2018
COST: $100 - 2 day workshop
Hedley Duhau as worked in the Mental Health sector for 14 years. Hedley started as a Community Support Worker, was promoted to Team Leader and is currently a Care Coordinator of a Mental Health Community Support Service for cohealth.
Hedley provides support, supervision and coaching to a team of Mental Health Support Workers and one on one support to people with Mental Health challenges.
During the 14 years in the sector Hedley has worked closely with clinical services, which include doctors, Psychiatrist, psychologist along with a range of allied health professionals.
Hedley has also developed, facilitated and evaluated group activities programs in the Mental Health sector.
This event is proudly supported by Maribyrnong City Council.
1 Market Street, Newport, VIC 3015
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available