Your name has been added to the wait list for this event. The event organiser will contact you through your email address once there are available seats / slots.
WIRED OPEN LABS 2019: BOTANICAL ART - ACACIA
In this one day workshop, Cheryl will guide students through drawing and painting Acacias
local to Cootamundra, just as they burst into their annual bloom.
In this 6 hour workshop you will learn:
To closely observe the details of your Acacia to create a composition for a painting;
Watercolour techniques including washes, glazing and dry brush work for a detailed finish; and
How to make the plant look realistic and three dimensional using light and shade.
- Introductory class, suitable for beginners and experienced artists.
What You'll Get
Each attendee will create a new artwork, while learning techniques and theories of drawing, watercolour painting and botanical art.
Participants will also be provided with a yummy home-made snack and/or fruit platter, and refreshments including water, organic teas and French press coffee.
What To Bring?
Materials listIf you already have some basic experience with botanical watercolours, what you have will probably be fine.
If you're a beginner, below is a basic list of what you’ll need.
Alternatively, check the box in the following screens to purchase the kit supplied by Cheryl at an additional cost.
- Arches 300gsm smooth, hot pressed watercolour paper. Or other good quality watercolour paper – must be hot pressed or you will struggle to get the detail. A3 or 2 x A4 will be plenty large enough. If you don’t want to buy a pad, you can buy one large sheet and cut it up.
- Cartridge paper/sketch pad for your initial drawing.
- Tracing paper – if you don’t have any I can give you a sheet.
- Notebook or sketch pad for taking notes.
- Graphite pencils - HB, 2B & 2H graphite pencils (or thereabouts)
- Sable or synthetic round brushes with good tips. Size 6, 2, 0 or similar. Basically a good range of large to small, with good tips.
- Colours Cheryl generally uses for botanical art are Winsor & Newton, artist quality watercolours: Winsor Lemon, Winsor Yellow, Cerulean Blue, French Ultramarine, Scarlet Lake, Permanent Rose, Burnt Sienna. Cheryl has a few extra colours which can be discussed on the day.
- This is a mix of cool and warm for each colour. You don’t have to use these exact colours. Some of you may have Cadmium Yellow and Cadmium Lemon – these will be fine. If you are just purchasing colours for this workshop, you could get: Winsor Lemon, Winsor Yellow, Cerulean Blue, French Ultramarine, Burnt Sienna (you probably won’t need the reds for this workshop).
Palette or white plate
White plastic eraser
Jar for water
Cotton rag or tissues
A support for your painting – this can be cardboard or even a hardcover book
If you have a lamp of some description that would be handy but not essential
Acacia specimens will be provided but you are welcome to bring in some if you find something you like
A smart phone or tablet if you have one - this can be handy to capture a photograph with the right light to use as reference.
If you are not sure what any of these are for, or you’d like further information please contact us.
DATE & TIME
Saturday 24 August, 2019
10:00am - 4:00pm
The Arts Centre Cootamundra
18-20 Wallendoon Street
Cootamundra NSW 2590
$175 per ticket (GST inc)
12 places available
CREATIVE KIDS - NSW GOVT $100 VOUCHERS
The Wired Lab is a registered provider of the NSW Government ‘Creative Kids’ Program, which entitles parents and carers of young people (18 years and under) to a $100 voucher towards creative activities. These vouchers will be active from 1st January 2019, and one voucher per child is available on an annual basis.
Most of our workshops are accessible to mature teens or children accompanied by an adult.
Parents and guardians of participants under 18 should contact us directly before enrolling.
To claim your voucher the parent/guardian needs to establish a Service NSW account and apply for a Creative Kids Voucher
Once your voucher is issued contact us to reserve your child's place in a workshop.
Please provide the child's full name, date of birth and the voucher number.
If the workshop place is more than $100, we will invoice you for the balance of the fee.
This venue is wheelchair accessible.
The Wired Open Labs workshops are presented in a range of venues where varying access needs can be met.
We have endeavoured to make our workshops as accessible as possible.
Please contact us with any other specific access needs before purchasing a ticket to ensure we meet your requirements.
Anna Schoo | The WIRED Lab | email@example.com
Cheryl is an artist living near Canberra, Australia. Cheryl works with watercolour on paper and vellum. She enjoys painting a variety of subjects including Australian natives, flowers, fruit and vegetables, and more recently, insects. Cheryl's paintings are exhibited at local Canberra art shows, and in particular, botanical exhibitions such as the renowned Botanica exhibition at the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney. Cheryl is currently teaching illustrating plants and insects. Her studio is open by appointment, her greeting cards and prints can be ordered online, and Cheryl also takes commissions.
This project is assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body.
The Wired Lab is supported by the NSW Government through Create NSW.
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.