Building Aboriginal Cultural Competency Program
The Building Aboriginal Awareness Competency Program is designed for individuals or groups who may not have had any previous training or exposure to Aboriginal cultural awareness, but who are genuinely interested and want to better their knowledge and understanding, of Aboriginal people and communities. It is also suited for individuals, organisations and corporate groups that require a practical understanding for future engagement or have Reconciliation Action Plans that identify the need for better Aboriginal cultural awareness in order for their employees to build stronger relationships and enhanced respect with Aboriginal peoples.The learning outcomes of our Program generally is to:
- Develop awareness of Aboriginal culture and identity.
- Develop awareness of the strengths of Aboriginal culture and people.
- Assist in making the connection to, and understanding the impact of colonisation and past policy for Aboriginal people today.
- Develop capacity to be more understanding and responsive to Aboriginal people.
- Motivate the participants in their cultural competence journey – meaning and importance.
- Australian settlement history (setting the scene and the legacy impact of colonisation on attitudes and lifestyle choices).
- The building blocks of identity (definitions of Aboriginality; Aboriginal family values, land and identity, lore, dreaming and creation; myths of settlement).
- The building blocks of identity – the Aboriginal community today (saying sorry, terminologies and statistical outline of Australia’s Indigenous population).
- An introduction to developing personal strategies for working more effectively with Aboriginal people.
Koorie Heritage Trust
Level 3, Yarra Building Federation Square
Cnr Flinders & Swanston Streets
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.