Your name has been added to the wait list for this event. The event organiser will contact you through your email address once there are available seats / slots.
More than ‘just the blues’
More than ‘just the blues’: Recognising and responding to depression and anxiety in older adults
Half Day Workshop
Thursday 20th June 2019, 9.00am-1.00pm
Depression and anxiety are common in older adults. Both are strongly associated with poor health outcomes, including physical illness, a decline in functioning and loss of independence. Depression in older age is also associated with a greater likelihood of death by suicide. As the global population ages, it has become increasingly important to recognise and respond to symptoms of depression and anxiety, and to support older adults to engage in treatments that meet their needs and preferences.
At this evidence-based, interactive workshop, you will learn to:
- Distinguish symptoms of depression and anxiety from ‘normal’ ageing
- Recognise and respond to the symptoms and causes of depression and anxiety in older adults
- Administer and score common depression and anxiety screening tools
- Understand factors that influence the experience of depression or anxiety in older adults
- Identify help-seeking barriers and maximise help-seeking facilitators
- Dr Meg Polacsek (NARI)
- Dr Anita Goh (NARI, The University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Hospital)
Who should attend:
- Staff working in the community, hospital or residential aged care settings
- People who are new to the field of aged care and care for older people
National Ageing Research Institute,
Building 9 Seminar room
Gate 4, 34-54 Poplar Road, Parkville, VIC
- $250 (incl GST) plus booking fee
- 10% discount for early bird registrations before 30th May, 2019.
- Morning tea and all workshop materials provided.
For further information:
Contact: Marcia Fearn, Education Coordinator.
Phone: (03) 8387 2305
NARI website: www.nari.net.au
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.