Two Day Collagraph Workshop
Collagraphs are printing plates where materials have been applied to the substrate or where the substrate has been incised or cut away. These textures hold the ink for intaglio and limited relief printing.
Collagraphs are an economical and non-etchant technique that can produce exciting and ethereal results.
Workshop is suited for Beginners/Experienced. Tutor is Rhonda Ellem.
Saturday 25 May 2019, 9 – 4pm
Saturday 1 June 2019, 9 – 4pm
- Venue: Museum of Printing ( MOP) NERAM
General: $145 + $20 materials
BGP/Friends of NERAM: $135 + $20 materials
Max. 8 participants, Min. 6 to run
Participants will be guided through each of the two technical stages in producing a series of plates where emphasis is given to line, shape and texture.
gestural (PVA and carborundum)
impasto (stencilling, imprinting, combing)
applying fine textures
incising, cutting and tearing away of substrate
photo on substrate (cutting, enhancing)
Jenny Sages challenge
Shellacing and sanding each plate ready for printing and for plate longevity.
3 plates of the same image, prepared for printing
FUN DAY PRINTING
proofing plates, assessing and resolving
overprinting all plates to make one print using intuitive selection and elimination, diluted inks
use of stencils to select parts, give a focal point
rotating plate 90 degrees
intaglio and monoprinting
Participants to bring for DAY 1:
- scalpel knife and blades
- one A4 or smaller stencil (commercial cheap one, picture or letter stencil OR can make one in the workshop from tutor’s material).
- a few small bits/strips of finely textured paper, tissue or foil. Don’t buy, be resourceful.
- ideas, drawings OR 3 copies/postcards of an artist’s (not printmaker’s) work
- pencils/textas/steel ruler
- A4 or smaller photocopy of a cartoon character
- 2 b&w or colour photos with contrast, printed by a photo lab or home printer on photo paper. Any format…A4, 6” X 4” or panorama.
- a few fitch, and soft brushes including a water-colour brush size 6 or smaller, won’t be destroyed
- scissors to cut cardboard
- old plastic credit card or scraper
- cutting mat
- mask if preferred for shellac, working outside
- 3 small jars
Participants to bring for DAY 2:
- paper offcuts for proofing
- larger paper
- preferably oil-based etching inks or oil paints OR water based etching inks, at least 3 colours.
- 4-6 (1”-2”) paint brushes, not stiff bristle, cheap pks from hardware
- ½” wide cheap fitch brush
- 3 jars for brushes
- roller/s if you have them
- old tray, won’t be damaged
BGP to supply
Low odour turps, Carborundum, Scribes, Tarleton, Rollers, Cotton buds
Materials provided : $20/participant
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available