2nd Year Ensemble
Presented by the National Institute of Circus Arts
Directed by Zebastian Hunter and Meredith Kitchen
The National Institute of Circus Arts presents Dispersion - a contemporary, abstract circus work set to live improvised music, exploring the forces that both separate and bind humankind.
With a cast of 15, the show explores the notions of cultural identity – from the initial evolution of a collective species into diverse tribes, to the modern, globalised world where cultural identity can be more obscure.
In this spectacular display of circus, movement and physical theatre, performers flip, soar, skip and contort to conquer a swinging Russian bar, a double tightwire and a group rope performance.
Co-Directors Zebastian Hunter, who is fresh from working on Barnum the Circus Musical, and Meredith Kitchen lead NICA’s cohort of 2nd year students in this daring production of future circus stars.
A live band will underscore the work, featuring drummer Chris Lewis (former Circus Oz Musical Director), guitarist Kathleen Halloran (Kate Ceberano, Kathleen Halloran Trio) and composed by Dr Jenny Game-Lopata who will also play saxophone. Game-Lopata is Academic Leader at NICA and has published articles on improvisation, intercultural music and education. These dynamic, improvising musicians will traverse the musical globe, drawing styles from countries around the world.
Set and Costume - Stephanie Howe
Lighting - Simon Fox
Musical Director and Composer - Dr. Jenny Game-Lopata
Photo by Sean Paris Photography featuring Reuben Baron.
TIME AND DURATION
Preview Tuesday 18 June 7.30pm
Wednesday – Saturday 7.30pm
Saturday 22 June 2pm Matinee
Duration: 60 minutes (no intermission)
Family (2 adults 2 children) $85
Family (2 adults 3 children) $99.50
Group (Min. 10 people) $25 per person
Preview (18 June) $16
*All tickets General Admission
*Children refers to U16
NICA National Circus Centre,
39-59 Green Street, Prahran, VIC
Note: This show is currently in the creation phase. Changes to thematic material may be made during the creation process and new content warnings added. Please check back to this website for updates prior to attending the show.
Rated: PG (Parental Guidance Recommended). Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
Most Suitable For: Ages 13+
- Entry on street level - entire space including entrance points, is wheelchair accessible
- The only stairs in the building is the tiered seating in the theatre. If you are using a wheelchair, a front row seat on ground level will be arranged - please let us know at the time of booking
- Inside the theatre, there will be a stage to the left and a seating bank to the right
- Outdoor space available to audience members near the entry of the venue
- Hard, non-carpeted flooring throughout
- This space can be quite loud and crowded
- Support animals will be allowed
- Free drinking water provided
- Handrails, hand basin with accessible tap handle, hand dryer at appropriate height for wheelchair use & angled mirror
- Dimensions 2.3 m x 1.9 m
- Entrance door width 850 mm, accessibility toilet corridor width 1.6 m, corridor entrance 1 m (no door)
- Distance from corridor entrance to toilet door 1.5 m, from toilet corridor to theatre main entrance is 17 m
- Entry to the bathroom requires no key
- There are handles and latches on the bathroom doors
Alternatively, get in touch with us via:
Telephone (+613) 9214 6975
Fax (+613) 9214 6574
PARKING AND PUBLIC TRANSPORT
Please note there is a lack of on street car parking availability around NICA. Roads surrounding NICA have limited street parking.
Stonnington Council operates a number of outdoor car parks that are a short walk from NICA. These include:
- Windsor Station Carpark, 28 Chapel Street - ticketing paid parking, Monday - Sunday all day
- James Street Carpark, 8 Lincoln Place - free 2 hour parking, Monday - Saturday 9am - 6pm
Check Melways Maps and Google Maps for locations.
TRAMS & TRAINS
From Flinders Street Station take the Sandringham Line train to Windsor or Prahran Stations. The Number 6 Glen Iris Tram runs along Swanston Street. The closest stop is on the corner of High and Chapel Streets.
Trams operate from 5.30am to 12.00pm midnight and with extended services available on Friday and Saturday nights. Visit metlinkmelbourne.com.au for timetable information.
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.