Your name has been added to the wait list for this event. The event organiser will contact you through your email address once there are available seats / slots.
Improving reading:explicit teaching&classroom culture-June19
Improving reading: Explicit teaching and classroom cultures
Monday 24 JUNE 2019
Two Sisters, 135B Goodwood Rd, Goodwood
This workshop is designed for teachers of Years 6 to 10 who wish to
- learn more about the processes of learning to read and comprehend texts
- explore strategies for the explicit teaching of reading skills, comprehension, vocabulary, summarising, noting and critical reading
- better understand the importance of diverse texts and connecting to student interests and lifeworlds
- explore strategies for building a classroom culture that values and supports all readers to interact and grow as readers
- consider contemporary research findings concerning the teaching and development of reading in the middle years of schooling.
During the workshop, you will
- Work with a maximum of eleven other teachers
- Articulate the priorities for your campus or classroom, and the reading demands, rewards and challenges for students from Years 6 to 10
- Explore the use of the ACARA National Reading and Viewing Progressions for mapping and planning student reading improvement
- Map the Australian Curriculum Content Descriptors and Achievement Standards in relation to reading (and viewing)
- Trail the process of 'forensic reading' where students work in pairs or groups to examine and solve the unique properties of well written prose or poetry.
- Have access to materials online during the day, and with your faculty until the end of Term 4, 2019.
All English teachers are welcome. However, the workshop may be particularly useful if two teachers from the one school attend together, and please note the discount offered in this case. Dr Rosie Kerin has designed and will facilitate the day.
9am- 3pm, Monday 24 June 2019. Please be ready to commence on time so that we can finish at 3pm.
Venue and catering
Two Sisters, 135B Goodwood Rd, Goodwood SA 5034
- We will have exclusive use of Two Sisters Food and Wine
- You can expect a morning tea or coffee and fruit on arrival, as well as delicious morning tea and lunch.
- When you register, you will be asked to let us know if you are vegetarian, vegan or have dietary intolerances.
- Three-hour parking is available along Gilbert Street (running between Two Sisters and the Capri Cinema, or if you park a street or two to the east of Goodwood Road you will find some all day parking.
What to bring:
- Please bring along a charged laptop or tablet
- Two to three examples of texts your students are expected to read (novels, textbooks, assessment tasks and rubrics or anything relevant)
- at least one example of a novel or non-fiction reading you love
All bookings must go through this TryBooking site and will be processed in order of receipt.
- $245 for one teacher, or
- $460 for two teachers booking together from the same school.
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.