ELTHAM MUDBRICK TOUR 2019
"Supporting Nillumbik's Artistic Future"
Eltham Mudbrick Tour 2019
Join us for a few hours in a once-a-year opportunity viewing classic Mudbrick houses in the
St Andrews area.
Event Date: Sunday 20 October 2019
Event Time: 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Start/Finish Point: St Andrews Community Market Hall, 75-83 Kangaroo Ground-St Andrews Road, St Andrews VIC 3761 (ample parking)
About the Tour:
You will discover more than half a century’s worth of experimentation, design and construction. Nillumbik's Mudbrick houses, always architecturally and artistically creative, are part of an alternative housing movement ahead of its time, built with environmentally sustainable and recycled materials in natural harmony with our bush landscape.
The Tour maintains a 50+ year tradition pioneered by mudbrick architect and builder Alistair Knox and is run by Eltham High School community volunteers to help support its renowned instrumental music program, with major sponsor Nillumbik Shire Council.
This year’s tour includes a two storey heritage listed mudbrick home, a John Pizzi designed off-the-grid mudbrick home, a two storey Alistair Knox mudbrick house that ably survived the 2009 bushfires, a recently built mudbrick home designed to new bushfire regulations, and a modern new attic apartment. The tour will finish at the recently built mudbrick building cluster at Scott Street in St Andrews, enabling you to visit the local baker (with his 1850 vintage oven), Punch wine room, a boutique cheese maker, the café and pub.
We provide a free shuttle bus service manned by our volunteers to take you between the houses at your own pace, just catch the next shuttle bus to the next house! Some easy walking is required. You should allow about 2.5 hours to visit all five mudbrick houses, including taking time to buy some home-made cakes at the final house.
The Tour also coincides with the bi-annual Nillumbik Open Cellars that features many wineries across Nillumbik Shire, so make a day of it!
- Some areas of the houses have steps or stairs and may not be fully accessible by mobility-impaired people.
- Photo ID must be shown on the day.
- Please join the Tour within your selected start times, and make some time to watch Eltham High School ensemble musicians perform in the St Andrews market hall (10 am to 12 pm) prior to embarking on the shuttle bus.
- The last three Tours have sold out, so please purchase your tickets as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. No tickets for sale on the day.
- We will send you Tour etiquette and safety information shortly before the Tour takes place.
- Tour brochure provided on the day.
COST: Adults $30, Seniors/Students/Health care card $25, Children aged 5 - 16 $5, Children Under 5 Free.
Tickets are sold in a range of starting times. Please join the Tour within the selected half hour.
And follow our facebook page.
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.