Counselling Skills (Foundational) short course
This two-day introductory course is aimed at individuals who are either: 1) currently working in a role assisting growth and development in others and would like to further develop their skills, or, 2) interested in learning more about counselling and potentially looking to take the first step towards a new career.
In this program, participants will learn the core counselling skills required to become effective in assisting clients to build strengths and resilience, and strategies for positive change. Through hands-on exercises and supported role-plays, students will experience and get to apply the knowledge, processes and core skills required to become an effective ethical counsellor.
Participants may wish to build on the foundations developed in this workshop, and enrol in our Counselling Skills (Intermediate) short course.
Please note, this course does not qualify participants to work in a professional setting as a counsellor.
Via a mix of group learning, role-plays, exercises and education sessions, following the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognise the similarities and differences between counselling and coaching
- Understand how to foster psychological safety for clients
- Demonstrate core principles of a person-centred therapeutic alliance
- Demonstrate active listening skills
- Develop awareness of client non-verbal communication
- Apply a range of questions including ‘scale ruler’ questions
- Understand the difference between reflecting content and reflecting emotions
- Demonstrate paraphrasing, summarising and ‘check-ins’
- Understand the principles and process of caringly challenging clients
- Consider self-awareness in the counselling process.
Depending on the needs and counselling experience of the group members, the above learning objectives may be modified accordingly.
Time: 8.30am – 4.30pm (2 Full Day Sessions)
|Wednesday 5 August 2020 8:30 AM - Thursday 6 August 2020 4:30 PM||16 Available||
|Thursday 5 November 2020 8:30 AM - Friday 6 November 2020 4:30 PM||17 Available||
Wednesday 5 August 2020 8:30 AM - Thursday 6 August 2020 4:30 PM
Thursday 5 November 2020 8:30 AM - Friday 6 November 2020 4:30 PM
The Cairnmillar Institute
391-393 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East, VIC 3123
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.