Counselling Skills (Intermediate) short course
This workshop builds on the skills and processes developed in the Counselling Skills (Foundational) short course. In this two-day hands-on workshop, we will explore counselling from the perspective that we have an inner cognitive and emotional life that significantly effects how we live day-to-day as well as long-term choices made. From these understandings, we will explore processes and applications that can assist clients to become further empowered, self-aware, self-accepting and positive.
This course is designed for people that have some basic education in counselling approaches and/or are already working with clients in a supportive capacity and wish to extend their training and skills.
Please note, this course does not qualify participants to work in a professional setting as a counsellor.
Via a mix of group learning, role-plays, exercises and education sessions, following the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and demonstrate active listening skills and a person-centred approach
- Understand the process of the adaptive self on authenticity and applications when working with clients
- Develop awareness and skills to assist clients to progress from negative self-talk to self-acceptance
- Develop an introductory understanding of the effects of interconnected internal and external factors and their impact on wellbeing and health (Note: this will be delivered via a brief overview and a detailed handout)
- Understand and apply a strengths- and values-based approach to client work
- Apply structured and unstructured goal setting approaches with clients
- Understand and apply principles of motivation and reinforcement theory for building positive habits
- Apply scale-ruler questions to assess needs, relationships and decision-making
- Understand the concept of core emotions and emotional suppression, and, how to work at an emotional level with clients
- Understand the concepts and application of gratitude and compassion
- Practice and extend self-awareness in the counselling process
Depending on the needs and counselling experience of the group members, the above learning objectives may be modified accordingly.
Time: 8.30am – 4.30pm (2 Full Day Sessions)
|Tuesday 25 February 2020 8:30 AM - Wednesday 26 February 2020 4:30 PM||8 Available||
|Wednesday 3 June 2020 8:30 AM - Thursday 4 June 2020 4:30 PM||16 Available||
|Thursday 26 November 2020 8:30 AM - Friday 27 November 2020 4:30 PM||16 Available||
Tuesday 25 February 2020 8:30 AM - Wednesday 26 February 2020 4:30 PM
Wednesday 3 June 2020 8:30 AM - Thursday 4 June 2020 4:30 PM
Thursday 26 November 2020 8:30 AM - Friday 27 November 2020 4:30 PM
The Cairnmillar Institute
391-393 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East, VIC 3123
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.