Learn Easy English. 2 day writing course - Darwin
Participants develop an understanding of Easy English, review current resources and research, and begin to develop their own Easy English document with the support of Access Easy English staff. This training focuses on all elements of implementing Easy English, including language and use of images. It provides numerous opportunities for participants to practice implementing these and other elements in their own document. Participants also consider the organisational implementation of Easy English.
When: Thursday 28 May, 2020 and Friday 29 May, 2020
Where: GTNT Group - Training Services
38 Woods Street, Darwin NT 08
Time: 9:15 am - 4:30 pm
Cost: $675 + gst
Morning Tea and Light Lunch provided
Anyone who writes information for the public, eg: communications and marketing staff, support workers, planners, therapists, disability advocates, teachers, ethics teams, researchers, local council staff, government department staff, NDIS staff, report writers, My Aged Care staff, Health Promotions staff, ..........
- learn the legislative framework for Easy English;
- identify who Easy English is useful for;
- learn about the current research in Easy English;
- explore current Easy English resources available in the Australian and international context;
- develop an understanding of Easy English and Easy Read;
- learn and practice each of the steps to develop quality Easy English written materials;
- begin to write your own Easy English document, including selecting and developing appropriate image supports;
- receive references and resources to assist you in developing your own Easy English documents and for further study and independent research;
- discuss strategies to begin to implement Easy English in your organisation.
This workshop has limited places of just 12 participants.
All participants need to bring a document/brochure/flyer from their work environment, or other written material to learn to develop into Easy English during the workshop.
It would be useful if you had access to a laptop for the workshop.
Not sure if this is right for you?
Call Cathy Basterfield 0466 579 855 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Confirm your registration and pay with a Credit Card using the Trybooking 'Book Now' tab.
Please note there is a 50c Trybooking processing fee.
Request an invoice for Accounts Payable. Email email@example.com to request one.
Access Easy English is owned by Cathy Basterfield.
Cathy is a trained Speech Pathologist, with more than 30 years experience. She has a national and international reputation in the development of Easy English. Cathy is acknowledged by her peers as a highly experienced practitioner in the field of Easy English. She is also recognised as being at the forefront of the development of Easy English in Australia, being one of the first practitioners in this specialist field. She has been at the forefront of the development of quality standards and benchmarks for Easy English.
Cathy was awarded a Victorian Government Ethel Temby scholarship for an investigative study into international trends and accreditation for Easy English writing and publications in 2011. Cathy is regularly invited to present at conferences on this subject matter.
Cathy's latest journal articles are
Basterfield (2019) Plain Language; Easy English. What does it all mean? IDA 40 June, pp 15-18.
Basterfield (2018) Access to Written Information: A social equity, social justice issue. Clarity 78, pp18-22.
See more at www.accesseasyenglish.com.au
Cathy is a member of
- Speech Pathology Australia. Certified Practicing Speech Pathologist
- PLAIN International.
The organiser will be sent the details of this message.
Sorry, there appears to have been an error. Please try again later.