The Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) approach assists people with complex communication needs to learn to understand and use language to enable autonomous communication. It provides strategies to support the design, production and implementation of communication systems to enable genuine communication for a variety of functions in all daily environments.
The focus of this workshop is the design features of PODD page sets to suit speech generating devices. The content will build on the information relating to the purpose, design principles, intervention strategies and use of PODD communication books covered in the two-day introductory workshop.
Ever wondered why PODD pages sets for speech generating devices are not direct copies of the corresponding language level of a PODD communication book? This workshop will explain the similarities, differences and variations in vocabulary organisations needed to capitalize on, and accommodate for, the innate differences between paper books and electronic devices.
Hands-on practical experiences will also provide participants with opportunities
- to explore the features and vocabulary organisation of PODD page sets designed to suit varying communication and language requirements
- develop fluency using the PODD page sets to model and expand language.
Case examples will be used to illustrate teaching and learning strategies that have been found effective for implementing the PODD integrated communication system (paper books and electronic devices) to support the development of autonomous communication at any time.
Note: Completion of a two-day PODD introductory workshop is a pre-requisite for this course.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify how the availability of multiple systems supports an individual’s ability for autonomous communication in a range of environments
- Describe the similarities and differences between dynamic display (paper) communication books and (electronic) SGDs
- Describe PODD vocabulary organization strategies that maintain similarities between systems while taking advantage of each format’s unique features and functional characteristics
- Select and customise PODD generic templates for speech generating devices to suit individual requirements.
- Model and expand language using PODD page sets for speech generating devices
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing the PODD integrated communication system (paper books and electronic devices) to support the development of autonomous communication at any time.
- Teach children and partners to use the PODD integrated communication system in daily environments.
About the Presenters
Gayle Porter is a Speech Pathologist with over 35 years hands on experience working with people with complex communication needs. Gayle lectures both locally and internationally about Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) and Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Displays (PODD). Gayle currently works at the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre and has a private practice working with both children and teenagers with complex communication needs in their local schools. Gayle is the co-author of “Integrating Augmentation and Alternative Communication into Principles of Conductive Education”. She also contributed a chapter to the book "Communication Without Speech" (Bloomberg & Johnson 1991). Gayle is a highly sought after international presenter.
Yvette Theodorsen, founder of Interactive Speech Pathology, has focused most of her 16 years as a speech pathologist working in the area of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC). She is a certified PODD Workshop presenter. Yvette is passionate about every person having a voice, no matter how significant their challenges may be, and has implemented PODD communication books with people from 9 months to 46 years of age, believing that nobody is too young or too old to begin with AAC. Yvette continues to work in a practical, hands-on way, collaborating with families, educators, therapists and other supporters to implement various AAC systems, including the PODD communication system with individuals in all settings.
$275 inc gst—Includes lunch, morning and afternoon tea.
Tompkins on Swan
632 Canning Highway, Alfred Cove, WA
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available