What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…
Inspired by Director Gavin Marshall’s personal experience of a prolonged, career-altering stay in hospital, SICK uses slapstick, circus and clowning to explore what happens when your body lets you down. For the emerging circus performers of NICA’s Bachelor of Circus Arts, this show will mark their final NICA performance before they graduate and embark on a professional career where dealing with – and protecting themselves from – injury is constant.
NICA is Australia’s Centre of Excellence for training in contemporary circus arts. It is one of eight national arts training institutes and offers Australia’s only Bachelor of Circus Arts. Graduates of NICA have gone on to pursue exciting careers both locally and internationally and have contributed to the development of Melbourne’s vibrant circus arts industry.
Content Warning: PG (parental guidance recommended). Simulated violence (slapstick), fake blood and mature language.
National Institute of Circus Arts (NICA)
39-59 Green Street, Prahran, Victoria 3181
- Entry on street level - entire space including entrance points, is wheelchair accessible
- The only stairs in the building is the tiered seating in the theatre. If you are using a wheelchair, a front row seat on ground level will be arranged - please let us know at the time of booking
- Inside the theatre, there will be a stage to the left and a seating bank to the right
- Outdoor space available to audience members near the entry of the venue
- Hard, non-carpeted flooring throughout
- This space can be quite loud and crowded
- Support animals will be allowed
- Free drinking water provided
- Carers and support people can attend the show for free, please contact us to arrange
- Handrails, hand basin with accessible tap handle, hand dryer at appropriate height for wheelchair use & angled mirror
- Dimensions 2.3 m x 1.9 m
- Entrance door width 850 mm, accessibility toilet corridor width 1.6 m, corridor entrance 1 m (no door)
- Distance from corridor entrance to toilet door 1.5 m, from toilet corridor to theatre main entrance is 17 m
- Entry to the bathroom requires no key
- There are handles and latches on the bathroom doors
Alternatively, get in touch with us via:
Telephone (+613) 9214 6975
Fax (+613) 9214 6574
PARKING AND PUBLIC TRANSPORT
Please note there is a lack of on street car parking availability around NICA. Roads surrounding NICA have limited street parking.
Stonnington Council operates a number of outdoor car parks that are a short walk from NICA. These include:
- Windsor Station Carpark, 28 Chapel Street - ticketing paid parking, Monday - Sunday all day
- James Street Carpark, 8 Lincoln Place - free 2 hour parking, Monday - Saturday 9am - 6pm
Check Melways Maps and Google Maps for locations.
Trams and Trains:
From Flinders Street Station take the Sandringham Line train to Windsor or Prahran Stations. The Number 6 Glen Iris Tram runs along Swanston Street. The closest stop is on the corner of High and Chapel Streets.
Trams operate from 5.30am to 12.00pm midnight and with extended services available on Friday and Saturday nights. Visit metlinkmelbourne.com.au for timetable information.
This event is currently closed and no contact details are available