The race is sanctioned by Cycling NSW. The race is subject to the rules of Cycling Australia, and entrants must comply with the requirements of Cycling Australia, which includes;
* wearing an approved helmet
* following all NSW road rules
* DO NOT cross double lines at any point during the race.
“Local” Rules for the West Head Road Races
All riders must be in registered kits as recognised on Cycling NSW website and private teams must have those riders registered as per the Cycling NSW website. Riders must ride in club kit unless riding in A Elite. All other grades the only acceptable kit is your registered CLUB kit or a plain black or white jersey. If you do not wish to abide by this rule, then please do not enter, because you will not be allowed to start on race day.
General Course Instructions/Etiquette:
• Always be aware of other users on a public road.
• General Road Etiquette:
o Ride 2-abreast unless overtaking.
o Leave enough room for vehicles to pass safely.
o Do not crowd other cyclists as you pass them – give them space. Remember, some of them are only new to cycling and we would like them to enjoy their ride.
o Don’t shout, yell or swear at non racing riders as you pass them.
• Remember! Bad behaviour could jeopardise the future running of this event. Also you are riding in your club’s kit and any bad behaviour or rule breaches reflect on your club, and on the Manly Warringah Cycling Club who are hosting the event.
• Blatant disregard of Commissaire instructions and/or breaking of road rules will result in disciplinary action – relegation and/or disqualification.
• Please exit the park with safety and other road users in mind. How we conduct ourselves when racing is finished has a bearing on our ability to get race permits in future.
• Please ride single file up McCarrs Creek road (at a minimum when a car is coming) this has an impact of residents perception of cyclists and has an impact on getting racing licences in future.
• If you have a team car please don’t follow directly behind your group up McCarrs Creek Road or to Akuna Bay – this makes it difficult for cars to pass and is a major issue for residents.
Elvina Carpark Start:
• Please keep the registration area clear to allow a quick sign in process to happen. Don’t bring your bike into the registration tent.
• A Pre-race briefing will be given to each grade by the Chief Commissare of the day. If you are unsure of something, ASK!
• Riders are responsible for knowing the course – please ask if you are unsure.
• Grades will depart at 3 to 5 minute intervals.
• West Head Turn-Around Point at Resolute Picnic Ground Car Park:
o The turn-around point is marked by a large orange safety cone and a MWCC Marshall standing behind it.
o A number of small orange safety cones will be spaced approximately 5m apart leading up to the turn-around point.
o Riders will turn right into the amenities car park between the last of the small cones and the large cone.
o Riders should be prepared to give way to oncoming traffic.
o On exiting the car park, riders MUST check for traffic coming from their right.
o All racers must follow instructions from the Marshals
o NB: Marshals are not allowed to stop traffic on public roads.
• Southern Turn-Around Point at the crest before the West Head gates:
o The turn-around end point is marked by a large orange safety cone and a MWCC Marshal standing behind it.
o Riders must turn between the concrete divider and the safety cone/Marshall.
o All racers must follow directions from the Marshals.
Elvina Car Park Finish Line:
• The finish line is indicated by 2 orange safety cones and a line of masking tape across the road.
• 5 (or more) orange safety cones will be spaced at 5m intervals on the centre double lines leading up to the finish line.
• At NO TIME are the double lines to be crossed during the finishing sprint. Unless for a safety reason, the rider will be relegated or disqualified.
• On finishing, riders are to continue past the corner to ensure they can see any on-coming traffic before turning across the road to the car park. An orange witches hat will mark the point where riders can turn across the road and return to the car park.
• Check for oncoming cyclists who may be coming down the hill in the shadows.
• Make sure you check behind you as well for other riders not racing.
• The entry to the car park is to be kept clear at all times.
• For safety reasons, riders must also keep to the left of the gutter near the car park entrance to ensure that the road is kept clear.
DO NOT LITTER - this is a National Park, take your rubbish with you.
TryBooking is an online system for organisations and community groups that has been designed to look after the entire event ticketing and registration needs.
All issues relating to the sale of tickets and the hosting of their associated event(s) are the responsibility of the “Event Organiser” and not that of TryBooking Pty Ltd (Australian Business Number 71126987915).
Please visit https://www.trybooking.com/info/customer-terms-and-conditions for our terms and conditions.