29er Skiff Skills Program
Objectives of the Program
- Provide a pathway for sailors transitioning from other classes into 29er, without the need to purchase a boat and or find a crew member.
- Provide a safe and fun learning environment
- Matching potential skippers and crews
- Encouraging sailors to purchase a 29er
- Develop the basic skills necessary to be a competent 29er sailor that covers
- Rigging and de-rigging a 29er
- How to right a capsize 29er
- Launching and retrieving 29er
- Gybing and Tacking
- Upwind and downwind sailing
Training Session Structure
Coaching is conducted by an experienced 29er coach that has been endorsed by NSW 9er Association. The training program runs for 7 to 8 sessions, with each session being 4 hours.
A maximum of 8 sailors per course will be sharing 2 x 29ers. The sailors rotate on the water and when not sailing are with the coach in the RIB. Training sessions will be a combination of on and off-the-water training, with the sailors responsible for rigging and de-rigging the 29ers. Sailor's will learn both being a skipper and crew.
- Skiff Skills Intake - Term 4 (BYRA Saiiling Club - 8 Sessions) 10 am to 1.30 / 2.00pm - 30 October 21 to 18 December 21
What do sailors need to bring?
Sailors must bring a life jacket, wetsuit, gloves, booties, sunscreen, food and water.
If you have a trapeze harness, please bring it to the sessions, or if you are an aspiring 29er crew, we will encourage you to buy a harness.
The cost per sailor for the NSW 29er Skiff Skills Program:
- 8 Sessions $349 + $75 NSW 9er Membership for 21/22 (Normally $95.00).