School Holiday Activities - Young Doctors - July 2021 (SOLD OUT)
Thinkways is hosting exciting, challenging and hands-on half day workshops in the field of human anatomy for inquisitive children aged 8 to 14. Students with aspirations to the medical fields will find these invaluable experiences and others will simply enjoy exploring a subject that interests them with like-minded peers. Guided by a qualified teacher specialising in the sciences and a registered emergency nurse, students will explore the human body like never before which will develop anatomical knowledge and foster critical and creative thinking. Maximum fun and exploration but not for the fainthearted!
It is important to note that these workshops are a fun yet challenging learning experience. All participants need to be willing and able to work positively and responsibly in group-based activities.
Note: If booking more than one child, each child will need to be booked separately.
Ages 8 to 14
13 July 2021
9 AM - 3 PM
Heart & Eye - Human Anatomy Workshop
Details: We start off the workshop with the hardest working muscle in the human body, the heart. How many places on your body can you measure your heart rate? What does a real heart look like, feel like... inside and out? We delve into circulatory system theory, heart structure and function, measuring heart rate and you will dissect a real heart. We then move onto one of my Mr Slater's favourite organs, the eye! Like the brain, the eye is an amazing and intricate object. We use it every day but how does it really work? We will delve into nervous system theory, eye structure and function, Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon, see your blind spot and you will even dissect a real eye.
Guided by Mr Alan Slater, a qualified gifted and talented teacher (with over 10 years experience in delivering human anatomy workshops) and accompanied by our wonderful Emergency Nurse, Yuliya, students will explore the human body like never before to develop anatomical knowledge and foster critical and creative thinking.
WHAT TO BRING
- A4 folder (to store handouts), recess and lunch (nut free please), water bottle.
- A zest for problem solving and a thirst for a challenge!
ARRIVAL & PICK UP
- Children will need to be signed in and out of the workshop. Your child can be dropped off at 9:00 AM and be collected at 3 PM. Children will be supervised over the lunch break.
31 Lawley Crescent, Jean Rogerson Science building - Lab 3, Mt Lawley WA 6050
- Doors open 10 minutes prior to the workshop start time. Once signed in, parents are free to leave (but welcome to stay up to the start time).
Thinkways is an independent educational organisation providing unique workshops which cater for inquisitive children. The program allows children to collaborate and work together with like-minded peers in an enriching, challenging and engaging environment.
The program aims to:
- Nurture children’s unique interests and abilities by providing stimulating programs that open them up to new ideas and experiences.
- Support children to develop a growth mindset by praising the process, practice and hard work that allows achievement of true potential.
- Encourage intellectual risk taking and embrace failures as a part of the learning process.
The workshops are run by fully qualified, registered teachers with over 10 years experience in delivering specialised educational programs for gifted and talented children and assisted by experts in their field.
Workshops are limited to a maximum size of 16 with a facilitator/participant ratio of 1:8 in all workshops.