The Big Bike Film Night - Christchurch
Let the good times ROLL Christchurch! The Big Bike Film Night is on a mission bringing the best cycling short films from around the world together for you.
Showcasing our 2024 collection that has everything a cycling-centric audience could want- action, drama, humour, and plenty of inspiration; the evening is going to be unashamedly, and utterly, utterly, utterly aimed at the two-wheel devotee!
There’s always an air of mystique about The Big Bike Film Night; we’re not your typical mainstream film festival, we’re left field and damn proud of it.
Treasuring where a bike can take you, our annual curated collection of short bike films is devised and designed to delight the two-wheel devotee in celebrating the fun, the adventure and the inspiration that cycling enables.
We don’t reveal what films go into our collections; just like riding a bike –it’s the journey and not the destination that is important, but here are some insights...
The 2024 treasure chest of films includes:
• a visually commanding film following one rider’s colourful adventure scouring the most beautiful spots from Guatemala to Peru via Bolivia bringing together a masterpiece of breathtaking images and memories
• a documentary about a community of cyclists from Alexandra who all share a similar love and passion for their place, people and sport
• discovering how a bicycle can be much more than a bicycle, bringing change to people’s lives
• a determined father and his daughter prepare for their greatest adventure together: an ambitious ride that will push them to physical and emotional limits on a gruelling bike ride around Central Otago’s Lake Dunstan Trail
• a passionate and quirky Australian cyclist advocating to “Ride your bike, don’t just romance the idea. Ride.”
• joining 10 young people as they learn to ride a long way…. embarking on a 900km bikepacking trip from Wellington to Wānaka
• a fast-paced, fun, and feminist bike race film that finally gives a groundbreaking, nearly forgotten athletic hero her rightful place in history
• a moving movie set in Scotland, showcasing how the simple joy of riding bikes can make a big impact
• and rounding out the night, “Everesting” is a feather few cyclists have in their caps, but what happens if your cap is full? So full in fact, you think “Why not do two?”
ALL in the mix!
So...listen to the voice inside you; it’s telling you to go. Grab your mates, grab your tickets, GO ON… grab your bike, and come along for the ride!!
Thursday 23rd May, 6:30-9:15pm - Philip Carter Family Auditorium: Christchurch Art Gallery
Friday 24th May, 7:00-9:45pm - Charles Luney Auditorium: St. Margaret's College
Friday-BIKING TO THE EVENT- there is a Bike park behind the swimming pool which will be available to park and lock your bike.
Feeling peckish beforehand, the good folks at Koru Care Christchurch Charitable Trust will be on hand with a select range of snacks and beverages (sorry no alcohol, & only water allowed in the Auditoriums) to keep your bike appetite in check beforehand and during the interval.
The awesome Community Travel Advisors from Christchurch City Council will be on hand with maps, cycling guides, and even a few giveaways….
WIN A GREAT RIDES CYCLING HOLIDAY
Purchase a ticket to any New Zealand screening and you could win the Ultimate Cycling Adventure on the Motu Trails Great Ride thanks to prize sponsors, presenting partner Ngā Haerenga Great Rides of New Zealand, and the regions of Whakatāne and Tairāwhiti Gisborne, The Motu Trails Great Ride, and Cycle Gisborne.
This prize is worth over $5,000 for two. Plus you also receive up to $1,000 worth of domestic air travel to help you get to Gisborne and home again.
TICKETS TO EITHER SCREENING
Adults $23.50, Under 17-year-olds $18, under 12-year-olds $13 available online as well as door sales ON THE NIGHT at the venue ($25- CASH ONLY | Subject to availability). If you would prefer to make a deposit in our bank account rather than through a credit card please fill in this enquiry form HERE (booking fees apply).
PREVIOUS ATTENDEE’S COMMENTS: -
“Wow! If it comes to your town do NOT miss it. Something for everyone.”
“The Big Bike Film Night is always a wonderful, eclectic, wacky mix of films and I love it!”
“If you haven’t experienced the cinematic excellence of The Big Bike Film Night - then YOU MUST!!!'
“Go- you will be entertained and inspired!!“
FILM CLASSIFICATION: The Big Bike Film Night is exempt from classification, but the films are suitable for the entire family and would obtain a PG rating.
SEATING - General availability | Intermission: 10 minutes | Length of films: 2.5 hours
Various (refer to your ticket)