YOU,ME,US Youth Week Celebration 2023
Join the City of Kalamunda in celebrating Youth Week WA 2023 with a series of activities and workshops which allow young people to explore and embrace their own identity, as well as grow their awareness of others’ lives, their differences, similarities, cultural links, and heritage, to strengthen the connection between residents living in our local community.
- Monday April 10: If I Were a Bird Art Workshop with Michael Phillips | 9am-3pm | Kalamunda Community Centre, Crescent Road Kalamunda
Using art as the outlet of expression, this workshop will walk young people through the creation of their own mural. This workshop will involve the youth of Kalamunda in creating a collaborative piece of artwork over one day that expresses their identity and how they see themselves. The morning session will involve fast paced hand-drawing exercises to prompt and express ideas. In the afternoon session, the ideas generated will be reviewed by the group and collaboratively painted onto a large scale canvas. No previous experience is required.
- Tuesday April 11: Engaging with Disability with the Youth Disability Advocacy Network | 12pm-2:30pm | Meerilinga, High Wycombe
This is a basic introduction to disability, covering topics such as models of disability, inclusive terminology and barriers faced by young people with disabilities. Participants learn how to be inclusive of young people with disabilities, with opportunities to ask questions in a judgement free space.
- Wednesday April 12: Cultural Empowerment for Change with Social Reinvestment WA | 10:00am-12:30pm | Woodlupine Community Centre, Forrestfield
What does culture mean do you? When do you feel empowered and how does it make you feel? Join Social Reinvestment WA for a conversation on culture and how having a greater understanding of your own culture and others can lead to positive community change.
- Wednesday April 12: Storytelling with Olman Walley and Riverstone Painting Session | 1:00pm-3:00pm | Federation Gardens, Hartfield Park
- Thursday April 13:We are Allies: Young and Proud with Freedom Centre | 10:30am-12:00pm | Gooseberry Hill Hall
This interactive workshop will focus on empowering LGBTIQA+ people, and is open to all young people aged 12-18 - allies and community members alike!
- Explore and celebrate diverse identities and learn about LGBTIQA+ experiences
- Learn about creating safe social spaces and levelling up your allyship
- Connect with other queer folks and allies over crafty activities
- Make badges to keep and wear to show your pride and support
- Friday April 14 April: Accidental Counsellor Training for Youth Action Kalamunda Group: This is event is specific training for our Youth Action Kalamunda Volunteers who are the City of Kalamunda's Youth Advisory Council to support them and further develop their leadership skills. If you're interested in attending events like this get in touch to find out how to join
- Kalamunda Libraries Youth Display: Check out the City of Kalamunda Libraries Youth Week Book dispaly during Youth Week showcasing stories on identity, inclusion and self-discovery in the young-adult section
Follow the City of Kalamunda Youth Facebook and Instagram to see the content the team have in store during the week!
What to Expect
- This series of events feature a range of activities and some events may include loud noises and large crowds
- The venues throughout the week are accessible and have ACROD bays at each venue and staff to assist with needs.
- Quiet rooms will not be available.
- City of Kalamunda Staff will be available on the day and before hand to assist with any support.
- There will be signs at each venue to assist with locating us on the day
- Free parking
- Light refreshments (please advise of any dietaries)
- Wheelchair Access and ACROD bays at each venue
- Acessible Toilets at Woodlupine Community Centre and Kalamunda Community Learning Centre
- External Ramps
The City welcomes and encourages the attendance of people with disabilities, and will endeavour to accommodate any access needs disclosed. Please contact Youth Services on 9257 9867 to discuss any further access or dietary needs.
Various Locations throughout City if Kalamunda