Brisbane Swing Thing 2023 - A Lindy Exchange
AboutBrisbane swing dancers love dancing to live music and making new friends. We invite you to visit us at the end of May to celebrate World Lindy Hop day, enjoy our fair city and get to know our friendly dancers.
Various central Brisbane locations - visit our website for details
Please visit https://brisbaneswingthing.com/ to see the full details of the event.
We believe in creating an environment where people can be themselves and connect with others around the shared love of Swing music and dance. We believe that people have the right to be able to fully participate and feel safe without judgement. Help us build an amazing and creative event where everyone is welcome.
Brisbane Swing Thing acknowledges the Yuggera people and the Turrbal people as the traditional owners of Meanjin, the lands where we live, learn, work and dance. We recognise their cultures, histories and diversity, and their continuing connection to the lands, water and communities. We also pay our deepest respects to Elders, past, present and emerging. We acknowledge the contemporary Queensland Aboriginal community, who have survived invasion and dispossession, and continue to maintain their identity, culture and Indigenous rights.
Brisbane Swing Thing acknowledges that we dance historical dance styles that are from a culture that is not our own. When we dance these dances which are rooted in and inspired by the foundations of Jazz music we are guests in the house of Black American culture. We respect and cherish the original Black musicians and dancers who shared their amazing creativity and talent during a time when they were routinely disrespected and mistreated by the society in which they lived.
Terms & Conditions
By purchasing a ticket to Brisbane Swing Thing you agree to abide by our Policies and Code of Conduct, at all times, as a condition of access to the event.
Any multi-event pass (ie. “All-of-the-Things”, “Some-of-the-Things”) can be used as a Shared Pass. Shared Passes can be used by a maximum of 2 people. Only one pass holder may attend each ticketed event.
To obtain a Shared Pass, please purchase one multi-event pass with full details of one attendee and email us at email@example.com with the details of the second Shared Pass holder including: First Name, Last Name, Contact Number & Email Address.
Brisbane Swing Thing will comply with all Queensland Public Health Directions in place at the time of the event. There are no current Directions in place (as at 4 March 2023).
If you have cold or flu symptoms or are otherwise feeling unwell, please do not attend the event. Refer to COVID Refund Policy below.
While mask-wearing is not required, we support your choice to wear a mask at any time during the event.
Maintain good hygiene - wash your hands with soap regularly. Sanitiser will be available but should be considered secondary to clean hands!
Refunds, Cancellations & Transfers:
Tickets are non-transferable. Entry to Brisbane Swing Thing will only be granted to the person named on the ticket. If you can no longer attend or wish to cancel your booking, please refer to the following:
- Refunds of multi-event passes (ie. “All-of-the-Things”, “Some-of-the-Things”) can only be provided on the full pass. Individual events cannot be refunded as part of a multi-event pass.
- Bookings cancelled before 30 April are eligible for a full refund (minus booking/processing fee)
- Bookings cancelled from 30 April - 10 May (inclusive) are eligible for a refund of half the purchase price (minus booking/processing fee). [*] [**]
- Bookings cancelled after 10 May are not eligible for a refund.[*] [**]
[*] If the event is sold out and there is a waitlist, we may be able to offer your place to the next person in line. In this case, a full refund (minus booking/processing fee) may be granted outside of the above timeframes.
[**] COVID Refunds - If you have contracted COVID, we will refund you for the portion of the event that you are unable to attend. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with positive test results and your request for a partial/full refund (minus processing fees).
- Merchandise purchases are eligible for a full refund before 30 April (minus booking/processing fee). After this date they are non-refundable.
- All merchandise will be available for collection at the evening events of Brisbane Swing Thing. If you are unable to attend or fail to collect your merchandise, organisers will make all reasonable arrangements for you to receive your purchased product/s. If this includes postage, this will be at your own expense.
Please email any refund requests to email@example.com within the above timeframes.
Alcohol & Illegal Substances:
All of the venues at Brisbane Swing Thing 2023 are either licensed or prohibit alcohol. Please do not BYO to any of the weekend’s events.
If you are behaving inappropriately as a result of intoxication, we reserve the right to remove you from the event.
Do not drink and drive. We can assist you in finding alternative arrangements.
Illegal substances or items are prohibited from any Brisbane Swing Thing event. This includes illicit drugs and weapons of any sort. Please familiarise yourself with the relevant Queensland laws.
As Brisbane Swing Thing has licenced events, we are legally restricted from having minors attend without a parent or guardian.
All licenced or evening events require a parent or parent-appointed guardian to be in attendance at the event for all attendees under the age of 18 for the entire time that the minor attendee is at the event. It is the responsibility of the parent of any minor to organise this prior to the event, we are not able to stand in proxy for parents at an event that we run.
Minors will be required to wear an identifying item (wristband, etc.) provided by Brisbane Swing Thing so that licenced venues and other attendees can identify them.
Brisbane Swing Thing will not be coordinating accommodation. Attendees may post on the Brisbane Swing Thing Facebook or Event pages to seek hosting, however, we will not be responsible or held liable for any arrangements that are made. Please be sure to run your due diligence when seeking a host or hosting - we recommend requesting references for both parties.
Code of Conduct & Safety
Brisbane Swing Thing is dedicated to providing a safe event experience for everyone involved, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, race, ethnicity, or religion. Everyone at our event (including attendees, volunteers, band members, DJs, staff and organisers) has an absolute right to feel safe and respected.
- Respect other people; their bodies, their level in dancing, their backgrounds, their clothes, their personal space. All of it. Racist, homophobic, sexist or transphobic language, sexualised, rude or violent language, or language designed to make another person feel uncomfortable or inferior will not be tolerated. Do not touch someone inappropriately or without their consent.
- You can say NO to someone at ANY time for ANY reason. Saying yes to dancers is a good way to help people feel included but you are not obliged to say yes, and if you do say yes you can stop the dance at any time if you feel uncomfortable. Of course this means that no one is obliged to dance with you either, so please be as polite as is practical when you decline, and aim to make every dance you have enjoyable for both you and your partner.
- Pay attention to your partner and the dance floor. We are all sharing space and it’s easy to get caught up in what you are doing. If there is a collision, both parties apologise. If someone has stopped dancing, stop dancing to make sure they are ok.
- Pay attention to your body. Know your limits and do not exceed them.
- Don’t do aerials, lifts, or drops on the social dance floor, leave these for jams and competitions. Also, always make sure you have consent from your partner EVERY time before you pull any of these tricks.
- Drinking alcohol is fine (unless you are a minor). Ensure that you do not get intoxicated to the point that you are unaware of any breaches of this code of conduct.
- Our venues this year are all either licenced or do not permit the consumption of alcohol. Please respect this and do not bring your own drinks to these venues.
- We request that you refrain from wearing strongly scented deodorants or perfumes, as these can trigger allergic reactions or migraines in some people. If possible, please use low-scented or hypoallergenic deodorants. Please apply deodorant before you come to the venue, and if you need to reapply, please do so outside.
- Harassment & bullying in any form, including sexual harassment, will not be tolerated. If you are unsure of what constitutes harassment please visit the Australian Human Rights Commission. Their page on harassment is https://humanrights.gov.au/quick-guide/12040. The Queensland Human Rights Commision page on sexual harassment is https://www.qhrc.qld.gov.au/your-rights/sexual-harassment.
Breaches of this code may result in a range of actions. You may be warned, referred to our Code of Conduct, asked to leave, excluded from our events or police may be notified as necessary.
You can contact any of the Brisbane Swing Thing Team by email, phone or in person. Find the team here https://brisbaneswingthing/index.html#team-page. Or Contact us: https://brisbaneswingthing/codeofconduct.html#contact-page.
If you are injured, feel uncomfortable or unsafe, or are experiencing or witnessing inappropriate behaviour, please let us know immediately. We will take urgent action. Your complaint will be handled with absolute seriousness and in the strictest confidence.
If you aren’t sure, and you want a second opinion, please ASK for advice. If someone lets you know that they are uncomfortable about another attendee’s behaviour, please encourage them to come and talk to us, or seek their permission to come and talk to us yourself. Even if they think it is not a big deal, we want to know about it so we can be prepared to take action and prevent situations from escalating.
Don’t hesitate: we have your back.