Whitehorse Basic Bike Riding Skill Session - Sun 29 Oct 2023
Location: Whitehorse Civic Centre car park (behind the main building), 399 Whitehorse Rd, Nunawading.
Fee: $10 general; $8 concession
Who is this session suitable for?
- Adults who are already able to ride a bike (pedal and balance) and wish to start building their confidence to ride on shared paths and low-traffic streets for transport and recreation.
- If you cannot yet ride a bike, consider booking in for a 1:1 learn to ride session.
- Suitable for all types of human-powered bicycles, including folding bikes and e-bikes.
- Participants MUST be residents of Whitehorse. Ticket sales will open to residents of other municipalities one week before the session date if the event is not already sold out.
- How to do a safety check on your bike and equipment
- Check that your bike is correctly fitted and adjusted for you
- Basic bike control skills such as starting and stopping safely, braking, cornering, and riding in a straight line
- Intermediate riding skills such as using gears, and stopping in an emergency
- Essential on-road techniques such as signalling, scanning, and using eye contact
- Traffic skills such as positioning on the road, merging into traffic lanes, riding assertively
- Discussion about riding around town confidently such as using shared paths and bike lanes, how to avoid dooring, negotiating tram tracks and other obstacles, road rules for bicycles, and how to plan your route to avoid dangers
- Lots of time for questions and answers.
How many other participants will be in the group?
- The group size is limited to 10 participants.
What should I bring?
- A bicycle of suitable size and type, in good condition with working brakes, a bell and pumped up tyres. If you are unsure, please email email@example.com prior to booking.
- Australian Standards Approved helmet in good condition
- Runners or similar closed-toe footwear
- Sun/weather protection
- A bottle of water
- Snacks and/or lunch as needed
- Any medication
- Suitable clothing for the conditions
What is the start/finish time?
The program will take place between 9am-11:30am. Please arrive 5-10 minutes early to sign in and prepare your bike.
Where should I come for the training?
The program will take place at Whitehorse Civic Centre car park (behind the main building), 399 Whitehorse Rd, Nunawading VIC 3131. You will be sent a reminder email with these details a few days before the session. See map at bottom of this page.
What facilities are there at the location?
Toilets, water and undercover areas will be available.
What if the weather isn’t great?
The training will only be cancelled if the weather forecast predicts very wet, very windy or very hot weather. If this occurs, we will contact you 2 hours prior to the start time. If weather conditions deteriorate after training has begun, training activities may be modified or omitted or the session terminated to minimise health and safety risks.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket?
You don't need to bring your ticket on the day. We will have a list of registered participants.
What is the refund policy?
We offer refunds up to 48 hours before the workshop. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide refunds after this time unless the course is cancelled. If you require assistance with this process, please contact Cazz Clarke, Cycling Instructor (Bike it Better) by email firstname.lastname@example.org or during business hours on 0421 114 389.
Note re COVID Safety
Stay at home if unwell or if you are a contact of someone who has been unwell and who is being tested for coronavirus (COVID-19) infection.
All attendees must comply with the current Victorian Government COVID restrictions.
Who do I contact if I have any questions?
Cazz Clarke, Cycling Coach (Bike it Better) on 0421 114 389 or email@example.com
Melanie Burgess, Active Transport Officer (City of Whitehorse) on 9262 6081 or sustainable.transport@
By registering and providing this information, you hereby agree to your data being provided to Bike it Better (the professionals who deliver these courses) to allow us to confirm event details and access your emergency contact details if needed during the course.
Bike it Better also shares the data you provide for Bike Skills Courses with City of Whitehorse who have commissioned these workshops, and by registering and providing this information, you also hereby agree to your data being shared with City of Whitehorse for purpose of evaluation and future program planning. If you have any concerns with any of these policies, please use the contact details listed in the previous section.
Nunawading Civic Centre
(car park behind the main building), 379 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading Vic 3131
Check out our other upcoming cycling classes:
- Individual 1:1 Bike Riding Skill Sessions (28 Oct 2023)