Yellow Patch 3 Day Survival Course 3-5 Nov
Mangrove Mountain - private address (details sent after ticket purchase)
🍃 A full 3 day course with plenty of information to help you get started on a journey of safe and sustainable foraging and Bushcraft in a relaxed, social and inclusive environment 🍃
Plant-based Survival - Yellow Patch - Weekend Course
Held at Ironbark Bushcamp in the picturesque rural town of Mangrove Mountain (approx 60 minutes from Sydney).
Jake Cassar has been described as an encyclopedia of bush knowledge, earning this reputation by living in the wilderness for extended periods and subsiding largely from only what he can sustainably and respectfully obtain from the bush.
Please bring/wear your White Patch as proof of participation and to get into the spirit of the Patch System!
Jake Cassar Bushcraft (JCB) acknowledges the Tradional Custodians and Elders past, present and emerging. JCB strives to interact with the land and all its inhabitants with the utmost respect.
Jake will be cramming in as much information as possible, SO BE PREPARED TO TAKE LOTS OF NOTES.
Jake is also offering guests to set-up camp Thursday afternoon if they wish (meeting at 4.30pm sharp - see below for more info), although the course starts at 10am Friday morning.
** COURSE INFO **
The Yellow Patch courses allows participants to explore a wider variety of useful wild plants from one of Australia's most experienced teachers.
Basic course outline
- Friday: Meet and greet and set up tents, swags etc. Go back through the fundamentals learnt on the White Patch course incl fire, water, shelter, tracking, cloud ID and more.
- Saturday: A full day in the bush identifying useful plants, animal tracks and bird calls.
- Sunday: A full day in the field at the Walkabout Wildlife Sanctuary identifying useful plants and learning about the animals within the park, and studying their tracks and scats.
This interactive, upbeat and informative weekend with Jake is designed for you to:
- be educated and build confidence in regard to identifying and using edible and medicinal native and introduced plants
- learn fundamental survival skills (fire, shelter, water and food)
- establish and maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with the land and all its inhabitants
- Important advice on safe, sustainable and respectful foraging
- learn the fundamentals of tracking
- preparation ideas and tasting wildfood
- sustainability & environmental awareness
- discover various bird calls and information regarding other wildlife in the area
- campfire stories, music and bushcraft related discussions
For those who have attended Jake's White Patch course, this course will offer even more in-depth educational teachings and the opportunity to spend more time learning out in the bush.
Each course differs according to the seasons, so for anyone that has attended a course previously, you will gain more information on the wild food and medicinal plants available in that particular season.
Suited to ethical omnivores, vegetarians and vegans and anyone wishing to learn more about medicinal & edible wild plants.
Please make sure you book in advance as these crash courses always sell out!
3 day yellow patch course details:
🌿 Start: Friday 3rd November 2023
🌿 Arrive: 9.45am sharp for a 10am start. (Optional: Meet at 4.30pm the day before - Thursday 2nd - to set up camp).
🌿 Finish: Approx 4pm, Sunday 5th November 2023
🌿 Held at Ironbark Bushcamp at Mangrove Mountain (approx 60 minutes from Sydney and Newcastle) in a beautiful natural setting by Ironbark Creek
🌿 Meeting point: All directions will be sent from TryBooking.com after your ticket is purchased - please check your junk mail
🌿 Self Sufficient Camping: You will need to bring your own tent and all camping equipment (including food and water)
🌿 To bring: Warm / cool layers, walking shoes, sun hat, raincoat, bottle of water, notepad & pen and food. Please be prepared for all weather!
🌿 Food and drink: Bring all your food and water for the weekend. We will have a campfire to cook over if needed
🌿 Cost (for over 15+ only): $450pp for full weekend experience / $350 Concession (proof to be provided)
** PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASING TICKET: **
- Not suitable for kids. This event is only suitable for ages 15+ (we ask you kindly to please not bring young kids to this particular course)
- The location is not easily accessible by public transport. Coming by car is strongly reccomended
- The parking spot will be about 5 minute walk to main camp (Jake take your camping gear in his 4WD)
- You will have access to campfire if you wish to cook (using your own campfire utensils)
- The hikes / walks are are not too far from the bushcamp and are suitable for all fitness levels
- The location is in a fairly remote area where there is no electricity, no amenities (pit toilets) and very limited phone reception. It would be worth letting friends and family know that you may not be contactable during that time (Jake can connect to a network if there is an emergency)
- We request that you please take all your own rubbish away with you
- No dogs or animals are permitted
All events go ahead rain, hail or shine!
IMPORTANT - Please be mindful of others and if you do have a cold or any flu like symptoms we ask that you do not attend the course.
* Cancellations. We are happy to fully refund your money if you cancel in advance, however, we do not offer refunds after the course has commenced. (However, if we need to cancel the event because of severe weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances we will let you know in advance and fully refund all paid tickets).
For more information please email Emma French: firstname.lastname@example.org
** More about Jake Cassar **
When Jake isn't visiting family, he lives in his grass hut next to Ironbark Creek at Mangrove mountain and has done so for many years.
Jake has featured as a Bushcraft teacher, tracker and prepper on ABC's Prepping Australia, SBS, Triple J Hack, National Indigenous TV, the History Chanel and features in the upcoming 7 Mate series Goin Off Grid. Jake has been described as the Aussie Bear Grills by the Today Show and a Bush Tucker Guru by the Daily Telegraph.
Jake is an award winning conservationist known for playing a key role in protecting massive areas of culturally and ecologically sensitive bushland and defending sacred Aboriginal sites. Just by coming on Jake's courses you are directly supporting his self-funded community and environmental work.
While this course is focused on edible & medicinal wild plants, Jake will be sharing his knowledge of bush survival and tracking based on decades of his own personal experiences.
Jake Cassar Bushcraft (JCB) acknowledges Traditional Custodians and Elders past, present and emerging. JCB strives to interact with the land and all its inhabitants in a safe, sustainable and respectful way.
'In order to reactivate our innate connection to nature we must forge a real, tangible and mutually beneficial relationship with the land and all it's inhabitants' - Jake Cassar