Long established in 1945, the Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) is a not for profit, volunteer run organisation which aims to foster children’s enjoyment of books.
On a national level it organises the annual Children’s Book of the Year Awards which presents awards to books of literary merit, for outstanding contribution to Australian children’s literature.
At the state level we provide a judge for the awards and work to promote literature and literacy in Queensland. One of our most successful projects is Readers Cup with over 750 teams of young readers taking part each year. We also run the Kaye Throssell Community Projects placing books in areas to assist children in need.
In 2024 we look forward to another successful year celebrating 70 years of the CBCA Qld Branch enjoying and promoting the best of Australian literature for children and young people.
Membership benefits include
- Information on upcoming events
- Discounts at CBCA functions, and national Conference
- Discount at bookshops
- Free entry for 2 Teams per school for regional readers cup competitions (Corporate membership only) where regions allow 2 teams
- Access to the Shadowing the Shortlist program. Only branch members can register groups.
- And most importantly, support for Queensland Branch Initiatives which in 2023 included
- Conducting Queensland wide Readers Cup Competition with over 750 teams competing
- Merchandise and book donations to Life Without Barriers (752 books) for children and young people in foster and residential homes providing out-of-home care.
- Book donations also to Zephyr Education (120 books) for children and young people living with their mothers in women’s shelters.
CBCA Qld Branch
Level 2 , QWC
State Library of Queensland
South Brisbane, Qld 4101
Secretary - firstname.lastname@example.org