Illume Learning is thrilled to be bringing the incredible Dr Paula Kluth to Australia for this exclusive in-person East Coast tour.
While we would have loved to have her visit the whole country, Australia is BIG! Can't make it to one of the in-person locations? We'll be live-streaming the Brisbane event to ensure no-one misses out.
Please note that this is a live-stream of an in-person event. You will be viewing the event as it takes place in Brisbane, including any in-person audience participation. The stream will be available in real-time only and will not be recorded.
"You're Going to Love this Kid! Supporting Autistic Students in Inclusive Schools
In this interactive workshop, participants will learn practical ways of supporting students on the spectrum in inclusive classrooms. Topics addressed include autistic voices, providing content-based communication supports, 'leaning in' to student fascinations, and creating community in the classroom.
This workshop includes video clips of positive practices, stories of success, collaborative activities, teacher-tested ideas, and research on autism and inclusion. Come for the professional development opportunities and stay for the microphone made of glitter, story about a heavy-metal IEP meeting, and whale-themed headpiece.
8:30 - 9:00 - Registration
9:00 - 10:30 - Communication & Curriculum
10:30 - 11:00 - Morning Tea
11:00 - 12:30 - 'Just Give Him the Whale' - Supporting Students with Special Interests
12:30 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 1:30 - Guest Speaker - Yenn Purkis, autistic and non-binary advocate and author *virtual presentation
1:30 - 2:30 - Community in the Classroom: Social Supports for All
Session 1: Communication & Curriculum
One of the most critical elements of successful inclusion is ensuring students have access to communication. Further, communication supports need to help learners access academics, interact with peers, and participate in the routines of the classroom. This session explores strategies related to communication and provides guidance for communication partners of autistic students.
Session 2: “Just Give Him the Whale”: Special Interests in the Inclusive Classroom
Ceiling fans, cell phones, Elvis, kangaroos, the planets, game shows, weather, elevators, trains, Disney movies, and the Titanic---we will explore how these and other special interests can be used to support students, connect them to learning standards, comfort them, and inspire new classroom experiences.
Session 3: GUEST SPEAKER: Yenn Purkis, autistic and non-binary advocate and author
Autistic advocate and author Yenn Purkis will present on autistic identity including the concept of autism as a culture (including autistic expression such as stimming and passionate interests and ways of identifying). Yenn will also cover masking and the impact of self-acceptance and inclusion on the mental health of autistic people.
Session 4: Community in the Classroom
In this final session, social strategies will be explored (e.g., social skill slam book, classifieds) and ideas for creating community in the classroom will be shared. Teaching social skills to ALL students in the inclusive classroom is a focus of this session.
$339 per person
NEED AN INVOICE?
Simply enter the code 'INVOICE' into the 'Gift/Promotional Code' section of your cart. No payment will be required and an invoice will be issued to the billing address provided within 2 working days. Please note registrations are considered confirmed on submission of the booking.
Tuesday 13 September 2022 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM (UTC+10)
The live stream will be available in real-time only and will not be recorded.
Online event access details will be provided by the event organiser
Terms and conditions
- Where an invoice is requested, registrations are considered confirmed on submission of the booking form and the cancellation policy will apply.
- In the instance that the event is unable to go ahead in-person, arrangements will be made for an alternate date or for the event to proceed in a virtual-only format.
- Illume Learning takes no responsibility for access details not received due to typos or errors. If the registered attendee has not received access details 48 hours prior to the event, please check junk mail and, if still required, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance
- For cancellations for any reason, including change of mind, the following terms apply:
- Cancellations must be made in writing to email@example.com.
- Cancellations made 15 days or more prior to the event will incur a 50% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations made 14 days or less prior to the event will incur a 100% cancellation fee.
- Refunds will not be offered in the event of non-attendance.