2023 PLEIN AIR DOWN UNDER
OUTDOOR PAINTING FESTIVAL
The extended festival dates of 19 - 26 September 2023 encompass Masterclasses, Workshops and Experience Peel Paint Outs, all designed to celebrate the art of painting outdoors.
The festival weekend of 23-25 Sepotember will be held around Mandurah’s town centre, cultural precinct and the historical town of Pinjarra. Artwork will be exhibited and available for sale and over $8,000 in cash and prizes are on offer.
YOUR ARTIST REGISTRATION INCLUDES:
- Access to paint at all festival paint outs from 19 - 26 September, including the festival weekend of 23-25 September
- Eligibility for awards and prize money, over $8,000.
- Exhibition and selling opportunities in the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre.
- Registration for the two hour Quick Draw Painting Competition.
- The option of participating in pre-festival Masterclasses (separate registration fee).
As you register, you will be prompted to select ONE of the following main judging categories:
1. Open: All artists, regardless of age or skill level, may select this option and will be judged against professional artists and feature guest artists
2. Non-Professional: For artists over 18 years of age who would prefer to be judged against their peers, rather than professional and/or featured artists
3. Youth: Under 13
4. Youth: Aged 13 - 18
EARLY BIRD ARTIST REGISTRATION, CLOSES 31 JULY 2023
$52.50 ARTIST REGISTRATION OVER 18
$10 AGED 18 AND UNDER: $10
FULL ARTIST REGISTRATION, FROM 1 AUGUST 2023
$67.50 ARTIST REGISTRATION OVER 18
$10 AGED 18 AND UNDER
Tuesday 19 September 2023 9:00 AM - Tuesday 26 September 2023 12:00 PM (UTC+08)
Mandurah and Pinjarra
Terms & Conditions
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE REGISTERING
Stamping of Surfaces :
- Only stamped surfaces are eligible for judging. These can be stamped from 19 September at any of the designated paint out locations or at the Artist’s Meet & Greet event. Times and locations will be communicated to all registered artists via email and Facebook.
- Surfaces must start off blank. Pre-toned canvas in a single colour, paper or gessoed surface is acceptable.
- There is no limit to the number of blank surfaces however these will need to be stamped before painting begins.
Judging and Awards:
- This is a plein air competition which means all Entries (the “Artwork”) must be the Entrant’s original work of art created, started and completed by the Entrant while outdoors, within the designated areas between the dates of 19 - 24 September. The Artwork cannot be touched up or modified away from the defined contest locations or time periods.
- Artworks created during Plein Air Down Under workshops or Masterclasses are not eligible for prizes and/or awards.
6. Artwork created during the Experience Peel Paint Outs and/or other Peel Region locations are eligible for the Experience Peel Award, and can be exhibited as part of the Plein Air Down Under Festival Exhibition.
7. Entries submitted for judging will be an original plein air painting or artwork, including mixed media. No photography, prints or three-dimensional artworks will be accepted.
8. Entrants will allow Plein Air Down Under to use photographs of paintings for existing and future promotional purposes.
9. When registering to paint at Plein Air Down Under, artists must select only one of the following categories:
- Open: All artists, regardless of age or skill level, may select this option and will be judged against professional artists and feature guest artists.
- Non-Professional: For artists over 18 years of age who would prefer to be judged against other non-professionals, rather than professional and/or featured artists.
- Youth: Aged 18 or under.
10. Entrants aged 18 and under will include parent/guardian information on the Artist Registration Form.
Plein Air Down Under Festival Exhibition: Mandurah Performing Arts Centre 25 September to 8 October 2023
11. Each registered artist may submit artwork to be exhibited at the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre (MANPAC)
12. Artwork for exhibition and judging can be submitted to MANPAC from on 23 September to 9am Monday 25 September, and will include the following:
- On the back: Artist name, title, price, medium, contact phone number
- On the label provided: Artist name, title, price, medium
- Hanging mechanism eg. D Rings, hook, string. It is the responsibility of the Entrant to present their work for judging in a professional manner, with appropriate framing and hanging options.
13. It is the responsibility of the Entrant to present their work for judging and exhibition in a professional manner, with appropriate framing and hanging options.
14. 25% commission will be applied to artworks sold at the Exhibition and/or any time during the Plein Air Down Under Outdoor Painting Festival, 19 - 26 September 2023.
15. Payments to artists (after 25% commission) will be made approximately four weeks after the exhibition period, by bank transfer.
16. The Plein Air Down Under Festival Exhibition will run from 23 September to 8 October 2023. Paintings will hang for the duration of the exhibit unless prior arrangements have been made with the curator. Interstate and international artists can discuss their artwork return options with the festival organisers.
17. It is the Entrant’s responsibility to collect artwork on Monday 9 October, or arrange a method of delivery and/or freight. Artwork not collected will be sold to raise funds for Plein Air Down Under 2024.
Plein Air Down Under will be following the directive of Australia’s Chief Medical Officer. If the directive is to cancel the event, all Artist Registrations, Masterclass and Workshop fees will be refunded in full within four weeks of the cancellation date.
Refunds not related to a Covid-19 event cancellation
- Artist Registration fees are non-refundable.
- Participants who cancel a Masterclass registration more than 30 days before the event will incur a 20% retention fee.
- Participants who cancel a Masterclass registration less than 30 days before the event will not receive a refund, however may transfer their place to another participant/person.
- All refunds that are due are issued after the festival weekend is over.