Mt Ousley Class (Elonera Montessori)
NOTE: This Robo Club is temporarily running at the TAFE NSW Wollongong Campus
Robo Club is an after-school robotics workshop for students. The Project Bucephalus robotics teams have been running classes for adults and children since 2011. We offer an exciting program that builds interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) in unique ways, with many former students moving on to become mentors themselves!
Project Bucephalus team members and coaches teach their students how to design, build, and program their own robots. The team will pass on their skills in teamwork, lateral thinking, and having FUN!
The Robo Club curriculum contains lessons and games designed to develop robotics, engineering, and programming skills. Catering to both beginner and advanced students, activities are mixed between single-week challenges and multi-week projects. The occasional competition is thrown in for good measure (Robot Sumo is a favourite!).
The Mt Ously Robo Club will operate in two streams:
- Robo Club Jr: Designed for students aged 5 - 8. These classes will utilise LEGO® WeDo® to teach basic skills
- Robo Club: Designed for students aged 8+. These classes will use LEGO® MINDSTORMS® to teach more advanced skills.
Project Bucephalus is a COVID-safe organisation, and will be enacting several precautions based on Government recommendations.
- Until cleared by the Elonera Montessori School, the Mt Ousley Robo Club will take place at the Project Bucephalus workshop at the TAFE NSW Wollongong campus (off Foleys Lane)
- Unless they are a paying student or official assigned helper, parents/guardians will not be allowed to enter the classroom. Drop-off and pick-up will happen at the building entry.
- Attendees must register their presence on the TAFE NSW app. Access will be provided on check-in.
- Students will sanitise hands on entry. Anyone displaying symptoms will be sent home.
- Masks are encouraged, but not required (particularly for those aged under 12)
- Robots and computers will be wiped down before and after use.
Given the dynamic nature of the COVID pandemic, additional restrictions may apply. These will be communicated to families via email.
Spaces are limited, and registration is essential.
- Prospective students and parents are welcome to visit and ask questions - but only after seeking permission.
- Students do NOT have to be part of the host school in order to attend.
- Substantial discounts are available to students providing their own MINDSTORMS® kit and laptop.
- Students pay by the school term (in advance). Alternate payment arrangement will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- New students sign up for a (paid) “trial period” of three weeks duration before deciding if they wish to continue.
- Students can apply Creative Kids vouchers to this class. The option will be made available during registration.
Please note that registrations can also be made by getting in touch through the Contact Us page on our website - use this method if you have special requirements or any questions about the event.
Tuesday afternoons, 3:20 - 5:15 pm
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3||Term 4|
The Elonera Montessori class is open to students aged 8+
TAFE Campus North Wollongong
Foleys Lane, Building X, North Wollongong NSW 2500