Fundamentals of Navigation presented by the ORCV
This course provides an introduction to the basic navigation skills required for safe yachting in coastal waters including:-
Explanation of underlying concepts which underpin navigation theory
- Concepts of time, and distance
- Use of latitude and longitude to define position
- Mercator charts
Basic training in the use of paper and electronic charts
- The information they contain
- Understanding bearings, magnetic variation and chart datum
- Plotting and planning, on paper, using chart plotter
Tides and their influence
Route Planning Fundamentals
Navigation technology – Chart plotters, GPS, AIS and related satellite services.
Upon completion of this course, participants will have the basic knowledge required to:-
- interpret charts, identifying, lights, leads markers and common hazards
- calculate bearings and plot positions
- understand the key components required for successful route plans for short coastal trips.
The course includes two teaching sessions and home assignments.